Competent short- and long-term cross-border planning is required to obtain the maximum benefit in the shortest amount of time. We focus on finding immediate solutions to qualify for temporary work authorization in the U.S. while laying the framework for potential immigrant options in the future. We also handle a host of other U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement issues, including removal hearings, vehicle seizures, tariff disputes and claims to U.S. citizenship.

If you wish to live and work in the United States, the U.S. immigration system will classify you as either a nonimmigrant or an immigrant. A nonimmigrant is defined as a person authorized to work in the United States for a temporary period for a certain purpose. An immigrant (holder of a "green card") is permanently granted the right to live and work for any employer, anywhere in the U.S.

There are several nonimmigrant categories Canadians and other foreign nationals may utilize to cross the border to work in the United States. It is often possible to extend the time of stay or to change to another nonimmigrant or even immigrant status.

B-1 Business Visitors
TN-1 Professionals under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
L-1 Intracompany Transferees
E-1 Treaty Traders
E-2 Treaty Investors
H-1B Specialty Workers
O-1 Aliens with Extraordinary Ability
P-1 Athletes and Entertainers

If you would like to explore your U.S. options more specifically, please contact our office to schedule a consultation. We charge an initial consultation fee of USD $250/CAD $300, plus GST, but will absorb the consultation fee should you retain us within two weeks of the consultation to assist with your U.S. Immigration matter.

Useful Links:

Claims to U.S. Citizenship

U.S. Customs Service – Import/Export Controls